Martian Mayhem


So in my quest to fill my days with all things art I visited the Martian Museum of Terrestrial Art at the Barbican. What can I say about the exhibition? First off it is fantastic! I had to do a double take when I checked the time and found I had been in there for almost two hours!
Having checked out the site and downloaded the audio guide on itunes prior to my trip I knew it would be an interesting time (audio guides can also be borrowed free of charge from the desk).

Upon entering you are greeted the esteemed Dr. Klaatu via audio and written text. The introductory text introduces the four main themes of the exhibition; Magic and belief, Communication, Relationships and Rituals. Following the gold lines that lead out from the theme title board to the various sub-categories reminded me a little of the Wizard of Oz 'Follow the yellow brick road' and that I did.
The works are classified through Martian perspectives, attributing function to each piece. Artwork is treated as artefact's opening up new interpretations of contemporary work. You can expect to find over 175 works by 115 artists over the two floors of the exhibition space.
I particularly loved the Masks and Annette Menager's 'Mes Petites Effigies' (1998).

Barbican Centre,
Silk Street ,
EC2Y 8DS
Tel.: 020-7638-4141
http://www.barbican.org.uk/

6th March- 18th May
Tickets £8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jay-Z live at Glastonbury 2008

Closing soon...Future Generation Art Prize 2019

What exactly is an "Afropolitan"?